Review: Funeral with a View by Matt Schiariti

Funeral with a ViewFuneral with a View by Matt Schiariti
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Thirty-two-year-old Richard Franchitti didn’t believe in love at first sight until he met free-spirited Catherine and started a brand new life. A devoted father and husband, Richard fought to keep his family together when it would have been easier to walk away.

Tragedy left him with unfinished business.

Now a disembodied spirit, Richard relives his most important days. From the beginnings of unconditional love, to the joy of his daughter’s birth, and all of the difficult times in between, each treasured moment brings him closer to answering the question:

“Why am I still here?”

He was born Richard Franchitti, but his friends call him Ricky. Welcome to his funeral.

***Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy in exchange for a review. And I am also a friend of the author’s.***

Having said that, Funeral With a View is one of the better books you’ll read this year.

The story of Richard Franchitti will, of course, immediately bring to mind Frank Capra’s timeless classic film- It’s a Wonderful Life. But instead of seeing what life was like without him, our guy looks back upon his life and wonders what’s left for him to do.

Richard Franchitti is an ordinary man. And as we all know, there’s nothing more special on this earth than an ordinary man. He rises and falls, stumbles and carries on, triumphs and fails. He toasts little victories and drinks away small failures… ok, he actually chews his fingernails but you get the point.

After a momentary lapse of reason that ends up costing him his life, Richard’s soul somehow fails to move on. Something’s keeping him tethered to both the world and his family and he needs to figure out what it is and come to terms with himself and the choices he’s made. To finally be at peace with himself, albeit after the fact.

Matt Schiariti has an amazing talent for characterization, dialogue and making the plot flow smoothly, so his books are very easy to dive right into. You get to know his characters through their words, gestures and little quirks (“Glenn? Glenn!”). Their laughter, pain and tears are real to you because you can identify with their struggles; situations we’ve all been in at one time or another or know someone who has. And you’ll want the characters to overcome them because of it. Which makes FWAV all the more human because you already know Richie didn’t make it. But he has a chance to set a few things right.

Funeral With a View is a story that’ll draw you in and hold you close. You can’t ask for anything more than that.