Fantastic!

Reblogged from Grimlock ♥ Inhumans:
Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal - G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona

And it's not just because Marvel is absolutely brilliant at expanding it's horizons, and trying to include a more varied superhero experience.   This is lovely, true, but having a gay wedding or a Muslim character isn't good enough, and certainly isn't good enough for Marvel.

No, they give us a brilliantly scripted Muslim superhero, who gets at what made X-Men and Spider-man so engaging.   Kamala Khan is the ordinary girl thrust into extraordinary circumstances.   Her worries about juggling family duties, school, and friends feel very intimately familiar.   She is today's every girl in very many ways.   And in some ways, she isn't.   Her family and cultural and, yes, religious traditions set her apart.   This isn't ignored, nor is it really shoved down the reader's throat.   It's mentioned, and Kamala deals with it with humor and sometimes sarcasm, just like she deals with everything else.

Still, the fact that her struggles feel so familiar drew me in, her bravery charmed me, and I feel like I learned a little bit more about another culture.  I really do hope that a lot of her Pakistani culture comes through in further volumes.  I liked when it played a part in this volume.  I liked it a lot.