Review: Season of the Witch (Shades Below Series) by L.J.K. Olivia

Georgia Clare needs help, and fast. As the lone survivor of—and witness to—her coven's brutal massacre, she's felt the killer hunting her. There's just one problem: the rest of San Francisco's witching community wants nothing to do with her, and the one man she can turn to doesn't do witches.

Darius deCompostela has done his best to steer clear of subversive affairs. A private investigator and reluctant medium, the last thing he wants is to advertise his existence to the things that go bump in the night. But then Georgia knocks on his door, and try as he might, he can't turn her away. It's just one case, after all. It's not like it's going to change his life…

***Disclaimer: I received a free copy in exchange for a review.***

This is kind of book I enjoy reading. The kind that engrosses you, intrigues you and makes you want to read more of the author's work. In a lot of ways this is the kind of book that shows what Urban Fantasy should be. Multi-layered storytelling, compelling characters and a magic system fully invested in its mythology and methodology for functioning in modern society. It's also an example of what ParaNormal Romance should be: a fleshed out story where the principals get to know each other while considering the ramifications of their growing mutual attraction. No Insta-Luv, no Soulmates from the Dawn of Time, etc. Just two people trying to survive a dangerous situation who happen to find each other along the way.

Laura Olivia has crafted an intelligent, almost lyrical story here. The pacing remains even throughout- though it could've picked up a little, the flow was constant. Olivia has a flare for dialogue and crafting conversations as well as inner monologue; you really get to know and understand Georgia and Darius more through their thoughts and interactions than their interlocking body parts. Both characters have issues and baggage from their pasts to overcome and move on from- though Darius' made him seem kind of thick for not having worked on it beforehand, especially with so many ready resources available to help him.

What I also liked was the fact it was a UF/PNR book that actually dealt with an interracial romance. I can't be the only one who finds the oddest aspect of the UF/PNR genre is how despite the rich histories of magic and mystery these books use and build upon from all over the world it's only ok to engage in all kinds of sexual olympics with a shapeshifter, undead or otherworldly creature of some sort... so long as they fit only one racial profile. While I thought the book should've touched more on the obstacles such a relationship would face even in these times, it remained a refreshing change of pace. And I'll leave it at that.

Season of the Witch is one of the more enjoyable and engaging books I've read this year. And I've no doubt you'll feel the same.

Bewitching Book Tour Host